- legislative council
- nouna unicameral legislature
* * *nounUsage: often capitalized L&C1. : the upper house of a bicameral legislature:a. : one in a British colony whose members usually are chosen by the governor of the colony
property requirements for members of the Cape Colony's Legislative Council
the Assembly and the Legislative Council constitute the legislature of Bermudab. : the upper house of the New Zealand Parliament abolished in 1950
constitutional documents pertaining to the New Zealand Legislative Council — H.J.Bendac. : one in a state or province of a nation that is a member of the British Commonwealth
the Legislative Council of Quebec is composed of twenty-four members — R.M.Dawson
in New South Wales the Labour Party twice came close to abolishing the Legislative Council — J.D.B.Miller2. : a unicameral legislature in a British colony containing the governor, official members appointed by the governor, and usually unofficial members appointed or elected to represent the people
legislative councils on the usual crown colony model — W.E.Simnett
the normal type of colonial legislature in the modern dependent empire … is the legislative council — Martin Wight3. : the unicameral legislature of a territory of the U.S.
the expenses of the legislative council of the territory of Michigan — Niles' Register
the Virgin islands … are composed of two municipalities, each having a legislative council — W.S.Sayre4. : a permanent committee usually composed of several members chosen from both houses that meets between sessions of a state legislature to study state problems and plan a legislative program
the median size of legislative councils … is around 18 members — H.W.Davey
* * *1. the upper house of a bicameral legislature.2. a unicameral legislature in a British colony consisting of the governor, official members appointed by the governor, and unofficial members representing the indigenous population.3. a committee composed of members of both houses of a state legislature that meets between sessions to study particular problems and develop programs for the next session.[1855-60]
* * *legislative councilA council to assist a governor, with power to make laws• • •Main Entry: ↑council
* * *legislative council,a committee of members from both houses that advises some State legislatures of the United States on all matters of law.Legislative Council,(in Canada) the former upper house of the legislature of Quebec. It was abolished in 1968.
Useful english dictionary. 2012.